Tuesday 12 April 2011

Gestalt project


I have submitted the following three images which I believe make use of Gestalt laws:


Image 1:  Law of Closure.  This image uses the rocks that surround the pool to provide a frame for the reflection of a lighthouse. This gives a structure that encloses that subject matter.


Image 2: Law of Simplicity.  With this shot I wanted to isolate the horses eye against a plain background which was provided by the horses neck and head.  To add to this I used a very shallow depth of field focusing on the eye, which I thinks helps to simplify the image.


Image 3: Law of Segregation. For this image I have tried to use the figure-ground technique in order to separate the sky from the buildings in the foreground.  This was done by simply exposing the shot for the sky so as the lighthouse is in silhouette.  I think that this technique works quite well when the subject matter has a distinctive shape that is easily recognised such as this lighthouse.

3 comments:

Andrew Boe said...

3 brilliant photographs craig

Unknown said...

Hey Craig, it's nice to see you back posting here. I think the lighthouse image works particularly well.

Unknown said...

Oops: should have said first lighthouse image.