Thursday 18 November 2010

Gestalt thoughts

For my current assignment I need to produce three photographs that make deliberate use of gestalt principles.

Usually when taking shots I would concentrate on things like leading lines, simplifying and the rule of thirds.  Whilst elements of these techniques do cross over with the gestalt principles, it will be a new way of building images for me and is something that I'm looking forward to giving a go.

The one that I'm mostly interested in using is the law of closure and in particular the formation of triangles in the composition.

As for subject matter for the shoot, I'm still a bit unsure as too what it will be.  I haven't done much in the way of street photography previously so I may try some for this assignment.  Alternatively their are a few new buildings in Belfast that I'd like to get some shots of so this may be a good opportunity to do so.

No comments: