Thursday 23 September 2010

Imbalance (Balance task)

I found that showing imbalance in photographic composition is a bit more tricky than getting a balanced shot.

Choosing a composition that is not balanced can often result in a photograph that is full of tension and has an uncomfortable feel about it.  For this reason I wanted to pick the subject matter quite carefully.

Recently I have noticed that the spider population in my back garden seems to be growing at a fast rate and although I don't have a problem with them I am aware that people can often have a very real fear off them.

I though that I could play on this and attempt to portray them in a way that would give the very an uneasy feeling due to the shots being imbalanced.

DPP_0006



DPP_0003

DPP_0001


With all of these shots I have used isolation to create imbalance within the composition.  This has been done by getting in close to the spiders, using a 100mm macro lens, so as there are no distracting elements within the frame.  

Also by using a wide aperture I was able to create a very shallow depth of field so as the background is completely blurred without any detail in it at all.  

With these shots the viewers eye tends to try and move from the spider in order to focus on something else but finds nothing so has to immediately return to the subject matter and it is this that creates tension in the images.

No comments: