Thursday 23 September 2010

Balance

To get some shots using balance I headed of to Belfast docks, which now seems to called the Titanic Quarter, to photograph the Harland and Wolfe cranes which dominate the skyline of East Belfast.

This was also the first outing for my new Cannon 5d and 100mm lens so I was looking forward to seeing how it performed and also learning how to use it.



DPP_0034



With this shot of one of the smaller cranes at the docks I have tried to used the shape of the clouds to add balance to the composition.

In this case the area of blue sky at top right of the photograph balances with the main subject matter as it is of similar size and shape.

To get this shot it was necessary to wait until the clouds moved into a position that made this composition possible.


DPP_0035















With this shot I have tried to use a similar technique as with the shot above.  Again the contrasting blue sky has been used to balance against the colour and shape of they yellow crane.

The shot has been composed in such a way that the the shape of the blue sky area creates an almost mirror image to the main subject matter.




DPP_0001















This shot shows part of the newish Victoria Square complex in Belfast.

With this shot I wanted to balance the tower which is quite a weighty architectural feature with the sail like sun shade.

I think that this shot demonstrates how an object that can be perceived as heavy can be balanced with a lighter object that is closer to or in this case extends beyond the edge of the frame.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting final image - I like the idea of a light object balancing a heavy one.

Victoria Square is a fascinating building I think.